[ODE] Vehicle Gears/DriveDrain/Engine techniques.

Jeff Weber jeffreyweber at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 15 08:56:01 2003

I'm soon to be creating the engine/drivetrain for my vehicles.  Looking for
any techniques others have used.

Has anyone had any luck simulating gears using real torque curves?  In other
words, if all the units for my vehicle are correct, and I apply drive torque
derived from real torque curves and gear ratios, will the vehicle behave
realistically.

I think in theory it should but was wondering if anyone has done it.

Also, how is DesiredVelocity handled in this situation. Is it acceptable to
just make DesiredVelocity some arbitrarily large value and let the max
vehicle speed be limited by different drag/resistance forces?

-jeff