[ODE] stepfast beta 2

Ted Milker Ted Milker <tmilker at radiks.net>
Tue Apr 15 05:53:01 2003

Thanks for the description, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 03:18:16AM -0500, David Whittaker wrote:
> So what do you give up for these gains in speed and space?  Accuracy and
> Robustness (hmmm, might have to look that one up).  When the worldstep
> solver looks perfectly solid on a particular scene, you may be able to get
> close to an object and detect a little jitter in the stepfast solver.

Is this why, if you go real close to the wall without running the car
into it, you can see the bricks at the bottom sliding towards the car,
before they finally come to a stop and everything gets disabled?

> P.S.  When I move the randomizing code into the source and seed it to the
> same number at the start of every simulation, it will be just as
> deterministic as the worldstep solver.  And you have full access to all of
> the rest of ODE's api, so you can set body position, rotation, and other
> parameters at will to bring it back into sync if you get behind (through
> dBodySetPosition/Rotation/LinearVel/AngularVel).

Is this addressing my question about server/client ODE usage?  Anyone
else use ODE in a network environment?  Anything else to keep an eye out
for?  I've included my question posed to David in my original email
below.

> Ted Milker wrote:
> > to look for the pros/cons of using it.  I'm interested in using ODE in
> > a client/server environment and was wondering how well it would fit.
> > How do I keep the server and the client's simulation in relative sync,
> > as well as correct the client when it gets out of sync?

Ted