[ODE] using ODE with 3D Game Studio

David Whittaker david at csworkbench.com
Sat Apr 12 12:23:02 2003

If A5 gives you a chance to do some initial setup, do something before
each rendering pass, and change the position/orientation of objects in the
scene, then yes, you can integrate ODE into A5.  What you would do is
create a "copy" of the world in ODE, complete with bodies for physics and
geoms for collision detection.  Before each rendering pass, you would then
call ODE's dWorldStep function.  Finally, you would loop through all the
objects in A5 that you included in the ODE world, and update their
positions/orientations to the position/orientation of their ODE
counterparts.  Depending on the amount of information A5's collision
engine gives you, you may be able to use it instead of ODE's to further
integrate the two technologies (and speed things up a tad).  From a quick
look at their website, I'm betting the best way to integrate ODE is as a
plugin.

David

P.S.  Does the open source/gpl world have anything comparable to A5?  It
looks pretty cool.