[ODE] Servo to reach a target position

Nate W coding at natew.com
Fri Apr 11 14:01:02 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, David Whittaker wrote:

> >> correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a way of telling
> >> ODE "I want to stop at exactly position X".
>
> This is why we do need something, but a proportional feedback system
> should be all that's needed.

It would be adequate, but it would be more work (much more, IMO) to tune
the feedback system than to tune a constraint-based system.  Proportional
feedback and applied forces/torques are "all that's needed" for joint
motorization, but the using solver constraints makes joint motorization
much easier.

> > An even better solution would be, IMO, a linear motor.
>
> How is this different from using a powered slider joint?

Slider joints only allow one degree of freedom, with 5 constrained.  A
linear motor, as I envision it, would only constrain one degree of
freedom, leaving the other 5 free.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA