[ODE] Servo to reach a target position

Nate W coding at natew.com
Fri Apr 11 11:32:02 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Royce Mitchell III wrote:

> After reading Russ's e-mail, I agree with him almost completely.
> However, there is an area that PID control would help in ODE that I
> don't think Russ has a provision for: controlled stopping. Please
> correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a way of telling
> ODE "I want to stop at exactly position X".

An even better solution would be, IMO, a linear motor.  Analogous to the
angular motor, a linear motor would allow you to specify the relative
linear velocities of two bodies, or a body and the static environment.
Then you could get linear velocities (and, with trivial proportional
feedback, linear positions) controlled with constraints rather than with
forces computed in and applied from application code.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA