Fwd: [ODE] Servo to reach a target position

Francisco Jesús Martínez Serrano franjesus at medtelecom.net
Fri Apr 11 03:57:02 2003

El Viernes, 11 abr, 2003, a las 09:03 Europe/Madrid, Russ Smith
escribió:

> ODE's motor facility has a number of advantages over applying forces
> directly. first, it is way more stable - the direct application of
> forces
> based on control equations can cause instability if the control
> equation
> is too stiff. second, it takes away the burden of having to compute the
> controlling force yourself (tuning those parameters takes time).
> ODE magically works out the correct force to achieve the desired
> velocity
> in one time step, something that your force-based control equation
> might
> take many time step to do. ODE's motors are also a reasonable model of
> highly geared servo motors (e.g. like the little position controlled
> servos that you find in remote controlled cars), so there is *some*
> physical justification for using them.

Now, if I have a real motor and want to control it through the forces I
get via dJointSetFeedback, when I set the desired velocity, will that
work? (assuming I manage to set the "correct" dParamFMax for each
timestep)

Will the forces generated by the LCP algorithm to achieve the desired
velocity be included in this structure?