[ODE] 2d system

John DeWeese deweese at ict.usc.edu
Tue Apr 1 12:21:01 2003

This question popped up on the list a few weeks ago and fizzled out
quickly (DOH).

http://q12.org/pipermail/ode/2003-March/003616.html

and the replies...
http://q12.org/pipermail/ode/2003-March/003619.html
http://q12.org/pipermail/ode/2003-March/003620.html

I haven't been able to find any 2D rigid-body physics software. Seems
that most people who want 2D physics have just written their own
spring-mass system with cross bars and funny integrators for stability.
Let me know if you find any though.

Anyway, it wouldn't make much sense to insert 2D functionality into ODE
as it currently stands. You'd be better off reimplementing the API in a
2D-like fashion, and seeing if you can pull in the solver and other guts
as well. On the bright side, it's GUARANTEED to be easier than ODE to
implement!

I am interested in assisting if you pick up that challenge.