[ODE] slider trouble

Nate W coding at natew.com
Thu Oct 31 00:23:02 2002

I've noticed that when I connect two boxes with a slider, and set stops
on the slider so it can only move between +1 and -1, the box-slider-box
system spins off into infinity if I toss it into the air.  Without the
limits, the system behaves just fine.

I was thinking that I was just seeing the rotating body instability
described in 11.12 of the FAQ, but bodies by themselves are a much smaller
problem.  It seems like the joint limits exacerbate the problem, could
they be adding energy to the system somehow?

Russ, do you have a pretty good idea of what would cause this, or would
you like me to tweak one of the drawstuff-based sample apps to demonstrate
this?  There is a possiblity that something in Juice is contributing to
the problem, so if you want I'll put together a bare-minimum test case for
you.

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA
http://www.natew.com