[ODE] Speed of ODE's constraint method

Nate W coding at natew.com
Sun Oct 27 13:19:01 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Erwin de Vries wrote:

> > I am now, and you're right, those numwers are really low with four dolls
> > and capped cylinders, the dWorldStep call takes about 7 milliseconds.
> >
> > Drawing the scene takes about 22ms, so I should be getting around 35 fps,
> > not 6-to-9.  Thanks for the tip, now I'll see what I can do about it.
>
> If the dWorldStep time is 7 milliseconds, isnt ~143fps the number you should
> be reporting?

Yeah, good point.

> It might be questionable that you are doing only one worldstep
> in one rendering step (...)

Yes, it definitely is. :-)  I had incorrectly assumed that it took more
time to 'step' the world than to render it.  I just revised my code to
step twice before rendering, and it only makes a small difference in frame
rate.  Probably does lots for stability though.  Thanks for the tip.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA