[ODE] penalty method

Sergio Valverde svalverde at barcelona.ubisoft.es
Wed Oct 23 01:03:02 2002

So long ago I tryed to implement a physic engine for my comercial game which
is based
on penalty methods for resting (or continous) contact. I remembered myself
reading
the Wu's presentation and trying to implement his ideas (...) In case of
"sudden" and
"hard" collisions,  instantaneous impulses apply (like in the old and good
Baraff papers).  It was *VERY*
difficult to tune the system for stability

1)  This approach results in very tight coupling between the physics
low-level simulation
and more high level controls (for instance: the AI code which lays on top of
the low sim layer)
The system isn't very modular and was the 1st source of major headaches ...

2)