[ODE] file formats

Nate W coding at natew.com
Fri Oct 18 14:50:02 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 amoravanszky@dplanet.ch wrote:

> We at NovodeX think the entire community, regardless of which physics
> SDK is used, would benefit from a file format that is an open
> standard.  In particular we are open to file format extensions as
> required by Juice -- though of course we should debate them first.

I haven't looked too deeply into the Novodex docs yet, but as far as I can
tell, the only stuff the Juice files contain that doesn't fit right into
the Novodex for format is stuff that pertains to motion control.

I don't think that really should be part of a common file format, because
(as far as I'm aware) control systems themselves are not yet standardized.
I came up with a couple of them for Juice, but chances are no other
application would support them or even want them.

The main thing, I think, would be to have a syntax that allows for
application-specific additions, and some sort of namespace control (even
if it's just the honor system) so that each application can easily ignore
any sections of the file that it doesn't support.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA