[ODE] Introduction / Suggestions etc

Alan Gordie Alan_Gordie at payformance.com
Fri Oct 18 11:11:01 2002

Hi Mal!

Well, perhaps it's time for me to de-lurk... (due to the mention of ODE
integration with Blender)

My name is Alan Gordie and I've been steadily building a robust, spring-mass
simulation engine (http://gordie.go.dyndns.org/) for simulating vehicles and
structures for fun.  Contemplating the GPL release of Blender, I'd been
toying with the idea of grafting my sim code into/onto Blender, but that
would be pointless if ODE were to be integrated with Blender.

At any rate, I've been following ODE (and the mailing list) for awhile now
and find myself continually more impressed with its' progress as time goes
on. (Thanks to Russ and the rest of you!)  It seems to me that ODE has
reached 'escape velocity' in terms of project growth and community support.
Don't get me wrong, I think there is huge potential, but it seems like it
has enough momentum now to easily move to the next level.

And the point is:  Now, after the release of the Blender source, I've
decided to contribute in any ways that I can in terms of adding my
spring-mass modeling primitives to ODE, as well as offering development
assistance for the "ODE Plugin" for Blender.

As Mal mentioned, there are many compelling reasons to add support this
effort, but there is one that stands out for me.  It will ensure that there
is a open-sourced, freely-available tool suite for rigid body simulation.

So, who else is interested in devoting some time to the ODE/Blender effort?
I've been hanging around in #ode on EFNET since it was announced a few days
ago, but there hasn't been much activity.  If there are enough interested
parties, I'd like to propose that we hook up on irc to start drawing up a
set of plans.  Any takers?

Alan

alan_gordie@payformance.com
alangordie@attbi.com