[ODE] networking

Eric Cha ericc at xenopi.com
Wed Oct 16 22:48:01 2002

Umm, not bad advice, but the original poster did specify that he/she
purposely chose peer-to-peer, so Client-Server paradigm might not be an
option (for him)... <shrug>

g/
You can then dive down to other articles for actual code.

You'll also want to think in terms of TCP, UDP and half TCP solutions in

your networking.  Half TCP solutions will likely want to guarontee order

but not receipt of packts.  Or alternatively, you could guarontee
receipt but not order.

Generally speaking, you need to design a simulation from the ground up
to work with physics over the network.  Its not something to add in
later.  And you need to get used to the idea that the client will always

be in error.  The server's representation will not be 100% accurate.  It

will likely be making spontaneous changes.  The clients smooth out the
changes at the user's end.

If you're designing your program for a LAN with less than 10ms lag,
thats a different story of course.  But you do also need to factor in
the processing time.  Its not just netoworking lag.

-Brad

---