[ODE] timestep

John Butterfield johnb003 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 14 00:17:02 2002

Is there any harm in using variable times for the worldstep?

I'd like to make things based on time not framerate and if I must use a
constant time interval it seems like I'd have to use mutliple threads which
would then cause the need for symaphores and it gets ugly from there.  If I
do a loop each frame for the amount of time that has passed, then I have
large errors since the time passed could be like 1.5 times the time step.  I
just thought of an idea of truncating and adding the remainder to the next
frame.  But then I can imagine it being jerky.  The best solution I can
think of would be if I could just use variable time steps.