[ODE] os x compile probs

ccos ccos at bigpond.com
Tue Nov 19 01:07:01 2002

hello everybody,

i'm trying to build ode on os x 10.1.5 and this is what i'm doing (from
the docs):

> Step 1: Unpack the ODE archive.

done

> Step 2: Get the GNU make tool. Many Unix platforms come with this,
> although sometimes it is called gmake. I have provided a version of GNU
> make for windows here.

done, ( default os x make )

> Step 3: Edit the settings in the file config/user-settings. The list of
> supported platforms is given in that file.

done, set it to osx

> Step 4: Run make to configure and build ODE and the graphical test
> programs.
> 	Be sure you are using the correct version of GNU make.

	which is the correct version?

> 	The make targets for building the parts of ODE are:

> *	make configure : Create the configuration file include/ode/config.h.

i get: *** configurator succeeded ***

> *	make ode-lib : Build the core ODE library.

seems to work

these are all i can make because i don't have X11, but i don't really
need to run
the drawing library, so i should be fine right?

> Step 5: To install the ODE library onto your system you should copy the
> lib/ and include/ directories to a suitable place, e.g. on Unix:
>
> *	include/ode/ --> /usr/local/include/ode/
> *	lib/libode.a --> /usr/local/lib/libode.a

done

ok, so everything seems alright, but when i try to compile with #include
<ode/ode.h>
i get:

/usr/bin/ld: archive: /usr/local/lib/libode.a has no table of contents,
add one with ranlib(1) (can't load from it)

hints very well appreciated.
has anybody here built ode on os x?

thanks much,