[ODE] CVS is Scary

Ed Jones ed.jones at oracle.com
Mon Nov 4 08:55:02 2002

Hi Folks,

I've been fiddling about with ODE v0.03 for a while yet, and I think
it's probably best if I get my head around CVS, so I can get the latest
stuff, specifically to do with the recent "dContactApprox1 mode" updates.

Not having used CVS before I've tried to get the latest version of
everything using WinCVS and it seems to have worked. I set the CVSROOT
in the Preferences, set authentication to the "passwd" option, logged
in, and used the Admin->Command Line option to type in "cvs co ode".
That seemed to copy everything out of CVS and it all builds fine.
Presumably, I now just need to do "cvs update" in future to pick up any
changes?

I assume that the "anonymous" user I logged in as doesn't have
permissions to lock or change any files within CVS? So there's no danger
that me being crap at using WinCVS can cause any damage to the code tree?

I've seen other CVS based projects that produce a "nightly tarball" from
their repositories. Is this something that's been considered for ODE? To
save me worrying about accidentally deleting all the code. Or something. ;-)

Cheers,
Ed.