[ODE] Piled objects

Richard Lee leerj at tcd.ie
Thu May 2 06:32:02 2002

>Im sorry to hear that you have had problems in the
>past with stable piles of objects in ODE and
>Mathengine Karma.
>Which version of Karma did you use?

The program in question was written in 2000 using the MathEngine Toolkits
v0.0.5 Alpha. Sorry, I should have said this. I didn't mean to give MathEngine
bad publicity.

>The alpha version
>of Karma (as reviewed by game developer magazine in
>September 2000), did have problems with large stacks,
>but this was due to a memory management problem, not
>dynamics or collision detection. Since this was fixed,
>we have not heared of any problems of this type, but
>if you have found a bug, then please tell us

I had a slow motion key in my program which toggles the time step between 0.08
and 0.008 and I noticed that the strange behaviors don't occur with the
smaller time step. So yes, it would seem as though MathEngine works fine and
my problems were caused by a bad choice of scale resulting in too much
interpenetration of objects for the simulator to accurately resolve after a
single time step.

Sorry again,
Richard