[ODE] understanding ODE LGPL implications

Joe Graham joe at aiobjects.com
Sat Mar 16 22:35:02 2002

Hello,
I am trying to make sense of the LGPL in a commercial game project I am
involved with.  Supposing we use ODE (a fine choice indeed!) for our physics
engine what would this mean under the LGPL in the following situations on a
windows client platform.
a. ODE resides in a DLL named "ode.dll"
b. ODE is statically compiled in the game ".exe" file.

Issues with a:
Does this mean that I merely have to include the ODE copyright and a link to
the LGPL and possibly a link to download ODE sources?
My concern with this approach is that someone using the game could then
replace ode.dll with their own DLL making them invulnerable to the physics
laws set forth in the game.

Issues with b:
Assuming I statically link the ODE library into the final .exe file.  Then
would I be under the realm of "derivative work"?  Does this mean I will have
to release the source code to my game?

Sorry all this legalese is just too confusing and sadly the LGPL is the most
confusing since it has so many definitions and exclusive conditions.

Thanks for your help
-joe