Re[2]: [ODE] Collision detection for arbitrary polytopes ?

Pierre Terdiman p.terdiman at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jun 14 01:32:08 2002

> Yes, Opcode does provide penetration depth in Sphere and Ray collides
> with a poly soup! But I can't see any in poly-poly (TreeCollider)
> test.

Because that's very hard to do for arbitrary meshes. I don't think a good,
convincing solution exists, and the ones I've seen are too slow for realtime
anyway.

If I had to implement it for next week, I would probably decompose the mesh
into convex parts using SWIFT++, use the hierarchy of convex hulls as a
BV-tree, then use SOLID 3.0 on top of this to compute penetration depth
between 2 hulls.

Would work, for a very high price.

Pierre