[ODE] Other integrators (was: ODE implementors guide)

Stephan Szymkowicz stephan.szymkowicz at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 26 12:40:02 2002

> > "The time stepping methods presented here are partially implicit
> > Euler methods ... So, ti is probably best to combine DAE methods and
> > time stepping methods; when the DAE method fails, use a timestepping
> > method with small step-size h>0 to get past the impulsive part of the
> > solution, and then re-start the DAE method."

Just an idear: Why do not tag when method fails and/or error
estimation/flexible constraint (to do not crash the simulation) was became
to big in order to work with those tag for the next N-time stepping to try
to get back the simulation to the right way? at least we can experiment such
kind of memory of local inaccuracy.

> > How difficult would it be to use a hybrid scheme, where the DAE part
> > allows a user-defined integrator?
> not too difficult. currently the time stepping scheme is mixed in
> with all the other system calculation, not separated out as you
> would do if you thought of your integrator as a separate module.
> but this separation is not hard, and after all an integrator is
> really a small piece of code compared to the complexities of
> calculating the system matrix.
> russ.

is it possible to do that now (time consuming ?).
It would be amazing to test new features (integrators and hybrids).

bye,
stephan.