[ODE] Randomness in ODE

Kenneth Holmlund holmlund at hpc2n.umu.se
Wed Dec 18 08:25:01 2002

I know ODE is deterministic when the same app is started
in several instances and compared.
This means that are no relevant beta decay in RAM :)
In addition it means that there are no memory bugs
(i.e. the app doesn't read random data from mis-reference
memory).

However, is ODE also deterministic when the simulation
is reset from the app, i.e. when you go back to the orignal
state of the system without restarting the app?

My experience is that this often is a problem in physics apps,
since  auxiliary parameters not always are reset, and because
of rounding errors relating to ascii/float casts etc.

/Ken