[ODE] Re: Bendy wheel problem

Jonathan Langridge jon_lgridge at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 5 05:27:01 2002

I'll add my name to the list... is there a membership certificate? "I've
experienced the freaky rubber band wheel feature" or something? :)

I'm actually getting the "feature" in a motorcycle sim during high-speed
turns. It's very bizarre, and sometimes the meant-to-be-fixed rear wheel
remains bent for several seconds after coming out of a turn or even turning
the other way. Until someone finds a solution I'll just cap speed.

On another subject, in order to simulate the wheels I'm using ellipsoids,
and have written my own code to clip them. When driving across an edge
between 2 polys with a very small change in angle of slope betwen them, two
clip points can be generated very close together. Sometimes this wreaks
havoc with the physics, as I think Russ mentionned might happen in this
case. At present I'm tempted to just check for this case and combine close
contact points into a single average one, but I'm wondering if anyone has
found a more physically accurate alternative? I don't really know how to
access CVS so I haven't seen the TriCollider code - how does that code
manage it? (the same problem must exist for sphere/tri)

AYBABTU,
Jon