[ODE] Car steering

Thomas Harte thomasharte at lycos.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 08:53:02 2002

--=_NextPart_Caramail_0001381029858707_ID

I apologise if this is a stupid question, but I am new to the ODE library, and am trying to create a model of a car. However I cannot see a way to implement the steering mechanism correctly. As I see it, what I would would to do is implement two hinge-2's, once for each front wheel, but then how would I add an additional constraint that will keep the orientation of body 2 (i.e. the wheel) of one hinge-2 and the orientation of the other body 2 the same? Alternatively, if I am thinking about this all wrong, what is the correct way to go about this?

NB I am aware that on a real car the two body 2's will not necessarily have identical orientation, but may concern themselves with Ackerman steering geometry, however I am ignoring this fact for now, and possibly forever if it proves complicated to communicate to ODE.

-Thomas
Check out all the latest outrageous email attachments on the Outrageous Email Chart! - http://viral.lycos.co.uk

--=_NextPart_Caramail_0001381029858707_ID--