[ODE] simulation steps in a game

Phil Teschner philt at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 9 11:52:01 2002

In addition to get the right "feeling" I think with ODE there is even
more reason to keep your time step constant.

The constraint solver in ODE actually uses the (previous?) time step to
figure out the constraint forces.  This can break horribly if, for some
reason, you have a small time step followed by a much larger time step.

The reason the time step is considered in the constraint force
calculation is that it is velocity based.  That means that the solver
calculates the forces needed over a given time step (again this would be
the frame rate dependent time step) to maintain/reach the velocities
required by the constraints.

ODE is pretty good about not needing the constraints to be met exactly
(there is a fair bit of constraint correction), but I think it can still
break or at least look very wrong if the constraints get too far out of
sync.

Another reason to stay with a fixed physics time step is that it is a
lot easier for you to make sure everything (in the physics subsystem) is
working properly since you don't have to deal with special cases (such
as time steps that are much too large or too small).  If you have
variable frame rate you, theoretically, would have to test the system
with all the combinations (constant large time step, constant small time
step, large time steps followed by small time steps, etc...)

Possibly your idea of maintaining some kind of minimum update rate would
work just fine since the delta between your time steps could be
reasonably guaranteed.

Phil