[ODE] test_buggy strangeness

Russ Smith russ at q12.org
Thu Nov 29 16:34:01 MST 2001

> Yep, that was going to be the subject of my next question, thanks for
> answering pre-emptively.  If the collision detection code checks for
> collisions once per box, rather than once per reference-to-box, that
> might explain this.  This is easy enough to address at the
> application level. Just out of curiousity though, would there be a
> performance penalty to make collision detection support multiple
> instantiations of the same geometry objects?

the problem is that the collision objects (geoms) refer to the
dynamics objects (bodies), but not the other way around. and in fact
the collision system doesn't really 'know' about bodies, it just keeps
pointers to them. so it isn't possible to have a single geom that
corresponds to two bodies. but having said that, you can of course
do whatever you like with the collision data you get from dCollide(),
e.g. you can apply contacts to multiple bodies from a single collision.
what effect are you trying to achieve?

russ.

--
Russell Smith