[ODE] Updating ODE documentation (was: hello world)

Shaul Kedem shaul_kedem at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 06:48:02 MST 2001

Hmm...

 Well, just so people will see the other side of the
coin I must comment on Adam's email.

 First, using formulas or textual representations of
the formulas will get the mathematics - oriented
people to understand what is going on, but what about
the programmers who wants to use ODE as a tool?

 Second, such names as "coefficient of restitution"
and not "bounce" are OK for people with english -
based physics knowledge but who ever learned physics
(in high school) using another language will have to
go and discover that "coefficient of restitution" is
actually "bounce" of some sort.

 So my suggestion is that the documentation will keep
the "simple" terms next to the "more accurate" ones,
keep the current documentation next to the formal
representations and most importantly - include some
example (buggy maybe) code with simple notes on how to
create such a demonstration. I must say I find it very
difficult to cope with all of the rigid dynamics
knowledge in ODE and I feel the more people are
talking about it the more it gets away from my grasp
(I am a professional C programmer for the last 5
years).

 Basic understanding of rigid body dynamics and other
terms is an important step in bringing more people
into the area of physics engines.

shul