[ODE] autoconf/automake

Jens Thiele karme at unforgettable.com
Fri Nov 16 16:00:01 MST 2001

Russ Smith wrote:

 >>some "problems":
 >>it seems the directories have to be renamed to ode/ode and
 >>drawstuff/drawstuff
 >>(the directory with the source of a library - especially its includes
 >>must be named in the same way they are installed
 >>- f.e. if you want to have /usr/include/foo/include.h then you must
 >>put include.h in a directory foo of your source tree)
 >>

 > i thought i had already done this ... the include files live in
 > include/package_name/* in the ODE distribution, and would be installed
 > in /usr/include/package_name/* when installed. the #include directives
 > in the source refer to "package_name/*", so this should work ...?

yes
the problem there is i moved the includes back into the package directory
because it seems this is the way to go with autoconf/automake :-(
i think the reason to do so was that there were problems with dependency
tracking
if the files are in another directory
=> now I am used to do it like this
you specify which files should get installed in the Makefile.am

but I am quite sure you don't want to have it like this ?
(=> i will have to try again to get the includes into another directory)

new improved inofficial autoconf/automake version:
http://www-ti.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~thiele/patch/ode/

tested on linux and irix

not tested: mac os/x , cygwin ;-)

email karme at unforgettable.com