[ODE] Re: Contacts/constraints?

nlin@nlin.net nlin at nlin.net
Thu Nov 8 06:50:02 MST 2001

Colin Reed wrote:

> Ok, I noticed some unexpected (read, don't fully understand so seemed
> strange) behaviour regarding my springs. If I change the timestep the
> the spring rate needs to be changed, bigger timestep = smaller spring
> forces. Am I missing something?

Sounds like this may be the apparent bounce effect caused by after-the-fact
handling of collisions (leading to slight interpenetrations which have to
be resolved). Check out the FAQ (section 10.3 of the docs) and see if that
is what you are experiencing.

It might be useful to set up a Wiki site (where any visitor can change any
page, sort of an ararchistic web publishing system) for ODE where users can
post questions and answers and make a user-defined knowledge base (so we
don't have to bug Russ so much). So, to turn right around and bug Russ again,
is a Wiki something you could set up on your website? It's a single perl
script, i.e. one single file to install on your webserver; all the rest
(edit buttons for changing text, archving of old revisions of pages,
automatic link generation, formatting, etc) is handled automatically by
the script. Personally, for my website, I use UseModWiki; see
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UseModWiki.

Norman
http://linux3dgraphicsprogramming.org