[ODE] motors, & a couple of tangents

Nate W nate at whatever.net
Fri Dec 28 16:42:01 2001

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Russ Smith wrote:

> instead of applying a force, try using a motor: set the dParamVel and
> dParamFMax parameters on the joint to set the desired speed and
> maximum force. as a rule, set dParamFMax to 2-3 time the "just
> enough" force you need. this should save you some headaches.

I've been learning this the hard way today. :-)  Adding torques made
my simulation blow up left and right, but since converting to motors it's
been much more stable.

A couple of tangential questions...

Anyone know of a Windows utility that will make an MPEG of my app as it
runs?  This is probably just wishful thinking on my part, but it would be
nice to be able to share MPEGs with the group.

What does LCP stand for?  All I really know is that it's the key thing
that makes ODE tick.  Is there an URL that will give me an overview of
what it's all about?

Thanks.

--

Nate Waddoups