[ODE] Package Comparisons

John D. Gwinner John at dazsi.net
Wed Dec 19 00:13:01 2001

Folks:

  Has anyone done any kind of comparison between the various 'physics'
libraries, i.e.

Dynamo
ODE
and the pay ones, i.e.
Havok
Hypermatter

or any others?

I'm especially interested in cross platform systems, and Dynamo looks
interesting.

I realize that application is everything - this would be for a collision and
physics/dynamics package for POV-Ray (ray tracer), so stability is
important, although speed probably isn't as important.  Flexibility would be
important also, at first glance, Dynamo has some interesting constraints and
forces; am I correct in interpreting these constraints as useable as a type
of hinge?

I also need something open source and cross platform.

POV-Ray uses a left handed coordinate system, however.  It can be modified
to a right handed if the right camera vector is specified.

Next, I note that ODE seems to be activly developed, I'm not sure if any of
the non-commercial packages are.  Or did they morph into commercial
packages?

I'm getting back into this industry after being 'out of the swing' for about
4 years, just trying to see what's available now.

== John ==