[ODE] status of autoconf?

Adam Rotaru adam_rotaru at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 00:35:02 2001

Russ:
> jens thiele has been working on this, his current
> work is at:
http://www-ti.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~thiele/patch/ode/

I checked out the 'autoconfed' ODE sources, and it
looks very good.
Some small comments below.

> ... but requires autoconf,automake,libtool to
compile
> (this is perhaps what should go into cvs at some
day)

I would include these files into CVS (and distribution
in general):

- Both configure.in *and* configure.  No autoconf is
required at installation.
When configure.in is changed (not often), configure is
regenerated (using autoconf),
and both checked in.

- Both Makefile.am *and* Makefile.in.  No automake is
required at installation.
When Makefile.am is changed, Makefile.in is
regenerated (using configure),
and both checked in.  (Note that Makefile.in contains
no site-specific settings).

- Do *not* include Makefile.

- Additionally include other auxiliary files, such as:
aclocal.m4, missing, config.guess, config.sub,
install-sh, autogen, etc.

> if drawstuff is disabled, build tests which don't
use it
> perhaps make 2 directories (gui tests - non gui
tests)
> in the moment there are only gui tests ?

Yes, this sounds like a good plan.  If tests are
created which work even without
graphics, they should be put in a new directory, and
compiled even
with --enable-drawstuff=no.
It is trickier if you want such a test to be built
without drawstuff,
but *with* drawstuff *if* available.  I see this
possible if code using drawstuff
are isolated using #ifdefs. (The availablilty of
drawstuff (ODE_DS)
should be included in the generated config.h,
currently it isn't).

cheers,
  Adam