[ODE] Accelerations

Adam Moravanszky amoravanszky at dplanet.ch
Mon Dec 3 10:12:01 2001

> Say for example that a rocket is launched. By simulating it on the server,
> we will know if the rocket will affect anything within the game. If it
> doesnt; simply run the simulation locally without applying any effect. If
> the server determines that something actually blows up, alert the clients.
> Since the differences between each client will (hopefully) be minimal, no
> serious artefacts should occur.

Sure sure.  Rockets and such.  That is the simple stuff older games were
made of.  What I'm talking about is an articulated creature with arms and
legs and so on, all of them separate entities.  Our tolerance here is much
smaller since a disjointed knee is much more visible, even if the error is a
few centimeters, than a rocket that is off even by a much greater distance.

And all the nice (and hopefully accurate) dynamics simulation isn't worth
much if it can't be percieved (or can only be 'roughly' perceived) on the
clients.

--Adam